I'm super happy that I picked up sets of Matthews apple boxes for my photography studio - two sets each of both full sized and mini sized. I watched a ton of grip-gear videos over the past few years and apple boxes were mentioned in almost every one. Here are why they are great to have:
- Versatility: Apple boxes are extremely versatile. They can be used as props, seats, stands, or risers. They can support anything from lights and equipment to models, helping create the desired height or depth in a scene.
- Durability and Stability: The Matthews brand, especially, is known for its robust and sturdy build quality. These apple boxes can withstand significant weight and frequent use, making them a long-lasting addition to your studio.
- Various Sizes and Heights: Apple boxes come in different sizes - full, half, quarter, and eighth (also known as pancake) - which allows for precise control over the height of the object or person.
- Lightweight and Portable: Despite their strength and durability, apple boxes are relatively lightweight and can be easily moved around the studio or transported to different locations.
- Cost-Effective: For the value they bring to a shoot, apple boxes are a cost-effective solution. They're reusable and can replace a variety of specific, often more expensive equipment.
- Stackable and Easy to Store: Apple boxes are designed to be stackable, making them easy to store when not in use. This is a boon in a studio where space can often be at a premium.
- Can Be Used as a Dolly: When necessary, apple boxes can be repurposed as a makeshift dolly for camera movement, especially in small or tight environments.
- Helps in Achieving Different Perspectives: By allowing photographers to adjust the height of their subjects or their equipment, apple boxes enable the achievement of a wide range of angles and perspectives that might not be otherwise possible.
- Improves Comfort on Set: They can be used for sitting during breaks or used to elevate equipment to a comfortable working height, reducing fatigue during long shoots.
- Useful Everywhere, not just the Studio: I use my apple boxes everywhere in my home, not just my studio. They hold up instruments, laptops, gear - they keep things off the ground.
Apple boxes are the Swiss Army Knives of photography studios: simple, multi-functional tools that prove invaluable in countless scenarios.